Your first Power Hour: setting up for success
Once you have selected your recipes, work through the checklist provided and you'll have your first Power Hour underway in no time.
- Check you have the cooking equipment you need. See equipment check-list for details. Dish sizes vary depending on the number of serves you are cooking so double-check each recipe for details.
- Think about what packaging equipment you need. Are your dishes headed for the fridge, freezer or both? Review our packaging tips and packaging techniques so you can pack and store everything effortlessly at the end.
- Know your oven. Work out what constitutes a moderate temperature in your oven. You'll be using this a lot!
- Familiarise yourself with our preparation and cooking tips such as: How to prepare an oven dish; How to thicken a sauce; How to correct seasonings; and How to remove fat.
- Make sure you have at least two timing devices handy – oven timer, mobile phone, alarm clock – plus some paper or post-it notes so you can record start and finish times for slower cooking dishes if you need to. Label your devises #1 and #2 so you know which is which when they ring.
- Go shopping! Print your customised shopping list or view online.
On the day
- Print out your Power Plan so you can flip between the schedule and the recipes easily. Read everything through so you know where you are heading.
- Empty your bin, reline it and keep it handy!
- Pre grease or line your baking dishes to save time later.
- Set out your ingredients so you don't waste time searching for things. The kitchen table is perfect if you have limited space.
- Fill your sink with hot soapy water.
- Let's get cooking!
If cooking is new territory for you, then rest assured it doesn't get any easier than Power Cooking! Before you embark on your first Power Plan, you might like to:
- Trial a recipe. Familiarising yourself with our recipes will help take the pressure off a little in your first Power Hour. It's also a chance discover just how easy they are and to taste the results - you won't be disappointed. Simply log in, then click on the recipe you wish to cook and select 'View Full Recipe'.
- Learn to cook rice and pasta. In each Power Plan we have included preparation slots for accompaniments such as rice and pasta. We don't specify a cooking method because everyone has their favourite. The aim is to be able to effortlessly knock out a batch in between everything else. If you aren't an experienced rice or pasta cooker, get practising! Alternately you can cook them at a different time and focus on the main dishes in your Power Plan.